Thursday, June 28, 2007

PalmerBeach Beachwear...it was an 80's thing!


I don't know what's been with me lately, but I've had this need to visit my past...childhood books and now this, my old stint as an entrepreneur. At twenty, after finishing the design program at Ryerson Polytechnical (now University) I hired 5 seamstresses, rented a small factory space, whipped up some patterns, ordered some wild, wild fabric and got sewing. (photo top left: That's my sister Tammy with Wade White...this picture was taken for Tourism PEI)
The ride was a constant uphill battle mixed with splashes of pure fun. It lasted about five years before I packed it up and moved to Montreal and got a real job. (Photo right: My factory in the West Royalty Industrial Park. These gals were my first employees: Katherine is next to me, then Ann McMillian who stuck with me through it all, then Adrienne Abbott, an artist from Halifax who used to walk an hour each day to get to the factory, the next girl's name I don't remember but I do remember she rode a Harley, and then there is Tammy, who knew more than I did. missing is Rhonda Clemments who used to bring fresh scallops to work--her husband was a lobster fisherman from Murray Harbor. Love them all!)
But looking back at my scrapbook, I couldn't help but feel motivated. My motto back then was the cliched "Go for it". I figured nothing would happen if you didn't try. The very effort of getting out there and trying something you love opened alot of doors for me. Having fun was contagious and everyone wanted in on the ride.
Writing a book is like that too. Greenwood Girls is everything I love in life and whether or not it gets published (of course, it will but I'll try to stay modest) is not the point.
Do what you love and it will all be worth it.
(photo bottom left: This photo appeared in Chatelaine, Canada's equivalent of Good Housekeeping. I'm 22 in this photo and I remember thinking why would anyone watch me?)
Photo near left: This medly of photo's were taken after my firts major fashion show at the Confederation Center. I remember after the show when I was writing up an order for Margolians, a department store in Nova Scotia, and thinking I'll never fill it. I was right and never did. It's like teling an agent that you have a full manuscript ready, but you don't. I learned a valuable lesson back then. Don't sell what you don't have or can't produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say...thanks for visiting.