Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Waiting for Inspiration...

Strange how inspiration comes in spurts. After the New York City conference I wrote 20 pages of book ideas, story line suggestions, character traits and even drew some sketches of ideas I couldn't quite translate into sentences. Now, well into March, I've hit a roadblock. I have no desire whatsoever to hit the keyboards and pound out another story or make even the smallest revision. Just not inspired.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm totally jazzed with what my student's are doing. The sixth grade kids are doing an Ancient Greece mural which is being created in terra cotta clay and features a reduced color palette-very elegant. I'm getting ready for the art shows (more info to come) for both my schools in April and while I'm choosing pieces for the show, I realize what a joy it is to be a kid.
So distraction might be the reason, but I'm not too worried. Whenever I lose my focus, I read.

My eleven year old son, Tate and I just read "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" by Brian Selznick

This is a truly unique book. It features wonderful, double page spread illustrations replacing some of the text. Sometimes the illustrations read like a movie would unfold, one action at a time, zooming in and panning out. The story is pretty good, too. Check it out.



Another book that completely captivated me is Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer. Wow. I had heard much talk about this book but since it was about vampires, I lost immediate interest. Then, after deciding I had better at least try it out, I read the first page and didn't put the book down until it was finished. i think I stopped to eat dinner but that's it. To me, it's a nearly flawless love story.
Her second book, "New Moon" didn't captivate me as much, mostly because werewolves began to appear and well, that was just too much. The believability of vampires was enough for me.

I'm searching for another book to tide me through my period of uninspiredness...any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say...thanks for visiting.