Monday, September 13, 2010

Back in the saddle again...

My new schedule is a dream.
I'm working at home now and teaching just two days a week.
Get up, make coffee, fix breakfast and brown-bag lunches, kiss the family good-bye and then skip upstairs to my new digs.
Yeah, all is good.
Except that I can only stare at the computer screen for two hours at a time or
(I swear this is true) my eyes start to cross.
It's been an adjustment.
The house is really quiet.
I turned on Good Morning America just so I won't feel so alone.
Heck, I'm used to a flurry of kids for six hours each day.
But I persist.
I create new art lessons.
I work on revisions.
I watch Photoshop tutorials because Isabelle showed me some really cool graphic applications and I want to join in on the fun.
I think about things.
Like how funny it is that an editor requested a full after
a NINE MONTH query letter.
Sheesh.
But then I get excited about my book again and start looking at it with fresh
"are-you-really-ready-yet eyes."
Then I get out my pens and start drawing a scene (even though it's a picture-less novel) because art is really my muse lately.
Then the kids start slamming doors and calling out for food, and even though they can fix their own snacks, I do it anyways because it gives me a chance to talk to them.
I'm not as scrambled as I may sound.
I'm really happy.
I'm living the life I was meant to live.
Creative.
Artful.
Peaceful.

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're blogging again. Getting a request for a full is ALWAYS nice, even if it takes nine months...hmmm, kind of like a child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty everything you say above resonates with me. I am also working from home, teaching three art lessons to kids and trying doing my own watercolour landscapes of the beautiful landscapes of Hong Kong where I live. I am British but have lived here half my longish life.
    I am spo happy to have found your site!
    Thanks for inspiring and being a great Mum too!
    Best wishes .
    ps I have bookmarked your site
    Roz Keep

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're working on your manuscript, Patty! It's so good and deserves a home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm lucky in that I've always lived a creative life one way or another. Mind you I've suffered from little income too, but I don't seem to be able to help it. When the creative impulse hits, I'm a slave to it. But like you, it's a life that makes me happy.

    Writing hit in a major way 3 yrs ago. have to checked out ch 1 of Lethal Inheritance yet? An new edit is on my blog. http://tahlianewland.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creative, artful, peaceful, I love it! Sounds so familiar:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I found these comments today. Now that I've switched my art lesson blog to WordPress, I don't visit my Blogger account much (and I have no idea when I switched the "comment moderation" button on). What a nice surprise to read all your kind words.
    Writing is going well, painfully slow, yet getting there. Thanks for teh encouragement. The timing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because I used several of your exercises from DeepSppaceSparkle have so enjoyed reading your blogs I am honoring you as I was honored with the MeMeTastic Blog Award. Since you are a writer I thought it might be a fun creative writing exercise for you.

    I have put links to your blogs on my Award Post. If you wish to be taken off just let me know and I will do so.

    This is the post: http://judithwesterfield.wordpress.com/2011/03/18/its-all-about-me-i-am-fantastic-memetastic-award/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say...thanks for visiting.