Monday, August 25, 2008

Ahhh...Back-to-School


Early morning fog did not dampen my family's back-to-school enthusiasm. I'd love to bottle that first day of school energy and save it for a rainy day in February.
My high school freshman son bounded down the stairs (which I'm sure will never happen again) energized about his "options" for the coming year. And I don't mean academic choices.
Tate hobbled, excited yet reserved, about his first day of junior high on crutches.
Elly drove off with her best friend and most loyal companion, for their first day as fourth graders.
Have to say, it was blissful seeing them all go. I'm sure every parent out there can relate.

I've always considered September my "New Year's Eve". It's the start of a new year for my kids and for me, it's when I reestablish my own goals and consider what I'd like to accomplish for the upcoming year.

PATTY'S FALL GOALS
  • Most of you know that I ripped apart my first novel. I've spent most of my free time this summer reworking, rewriting and rethinking many parts. In between watching Nastia Liukin absolutely shine at the Olympics, I hammered away mostly at internal and external motivation. I'm thrilled with what I accomplished. But my goal is to finish this rework by the end of the month. I can do it. I'm on a roll...
  • Work on finishing my first draft of my second. I'll be bringing this novel to my Writing Class with Valerie Hobbs later this month. I like the way this novel has evolved. With the help of my critique group, FarFlung Writer's, and with my writing class critiques, I should have lots to think about with this one.
  • Chose a weekend writing retreat to attend. Last November, I went to Big Sur Writing Workshop and loved it. I'm considering going again but want to explore others as well. Does anyone know of a great retreat coming up in California this Fall?
  • Enter the Santa Barbara SCBWI Writer's Day Writing Contest. LOVE attending this event. Great people. Great organizers, Great time.
That's it. Hope I can stay on track. Happy New Year to everyone like me, who considers September a fresh start!

10 comments:

  1. I want to go to Big Sur again also! Not this November, but maybe in March??? I'll have to check my schedule :)
    I love your goals! You'll do great with the writing time. Funny how that works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your post. Found your blog through 'bugs and bunnies ' , and now I have another one to add to my favorites. I would love to go to a writing retreat..........have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PJ: Big Sur was amazing. The people, the energy...just thinking about it makes me miss it.

    6boyzmom: Welcome! I'm wondering if you really have 6 boys? My husband has four brothers and one sister. I thought that household was crazy!
    If you like to write, you'll love retreats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids back at school? Now...THAT'S joy:) They look so beautiful. I love the first day of school photo.

    Patty, I'm going to submit a mms for The Big Sur Writing Conference [hope I get in]. That's one of my goals. I love yours. I'm not sure if I'll be able to attend the Ventura County Writer's Day this year. I hope you have a great time! I loved the Pacific Coast Children's Writer's Workshop in Santa Cruz.

    Good luck with getting GG done by the end of August:) That's a great goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura: You will for sure get in. I'd love to go back. It was worth every penny. Such a cliche, but it's true.
    Call when you drive through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patty,

    AAA Westways magazine has an article in it about The Write Stuff - A Guide to SoCal's Literary and Book Festivals. I thought you might be interested. If you aren't a member of Triple A, you can have my copy. It doesn't appear to be online yet.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Holly! I'll check it out. Hope you had a good summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Someone has been redesigning her blog and it looks faboo! Your picture totally captures the joy of Patty P.

    Love it--Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your new photo! And the pink bike! And your ability to stay balanced on said bike!

    Great goals, Patty. You can stay on track.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maggie and Vivian...glad you like my new picture. Neil gave me this bike for my birthday. I love it! I was very surprised and pleased. And it's tres comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say...thanks for visiting.